‘Tis the season of weight gain, binge drinking, and caroling off-key. The season of hot chocolate sipping, fireplace snuggling, and pine tree droppings. The season of mistletoe, family gatherings, and snowmen. The season of ugly sweaters, chapped lips, and gingerbread men. The holiday season is fast approaching and as we pack away the last of the Thanksgiving leftovers, we begin to realize just how little time we have left before the radio stations begin to broadcast Mariah Carey’s Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) for their ever eager holiday extravagance and the to do list before Santa comes to town lands at a lengthy state.
But lets face it, as a college student, the last thing I want to do is spend loads of dough on presents, yet the stress of the perfect gift scolds even the stingiest of folk. So the big question is, how do you indulge in the holiday spirit without breaking bank? My first piece of advice is to organize a gift swap between your best mates as to avoid the tedious and expensive task of finding a wrapped-up wonder for each of your special someones. Set a budget around $30, draw names out of a hat, do-se-do your eager hands until you’ve landed upon the perfect piece of paper, and let the shopping begin.
Now I’ve come to realize that every group of gals including my own has some distinct stereotypes within. Just think of the ever-iconic Sex and the City clan. They were made up of a hopeless romantic fashion junky, an oversexed Hollywood big shot, an artistic and domestic housewife, and an overworked somewhat masculine mommy. Come to think of it, girl groups throughout time have coincided in their diverse harmony and we’ve bought into their distinct typecasts. The Spice Girls, Mean Girls cast, Clueless crew, and many more have broadcast their miscellaneous assortments across the world for our viewing pleasure. And as I sit back and compare my best bitches with those of TV’s finest, I realize that mine alone supplies the artsy type, the nerdy one, the girly girl, and the hippie, somehow joined with impeccable ease. So as you dissect your holiday shopping list, I demand you to leave the stress about finding the perfect present behind, and look to the college chick’s cheap gift guide for all of your shopping inquiries.
Here is Part One of our epic guide: the Creative Cat, the Guy’s Girl, the Girly Girl, and the Natural. Stay tuned for the Brainiac and the Badass tomorrow!
For the art obsessed, creative cat..
- The 8 Piece Striper Kit in Chromes – Art Club
- The ncLA x Melody Ehsani I Don’t Play Nice Nail Wrap – ncLA
- The Cloud Nine Top in White – *LA Boutique
- The Windy Hat in Brown – deLux
- The Stack-A-Doodle Block Crayons – FRED
For the girl that loves kicking it with the boys…
- The Grams Beanie in Mustard – NEFF
- The Classic Backpack in Burgundy – HERSCHEL SUPPLY
- The Delancy Watch in Lights Out – Rumba Time
- The Label Baseball Raglan in Black and Cement – RVCA
- The Shamika Shadows Skull Tank – Cheap Monday
For the chick who loves all things sparkly, frilly, and flirty…
- The Written in the Stars Eye Shadow Palette – Stila
- The All is Bright Holiday Lip Glaze Set – Stila
- The Oversized Envelope with Skull Detail in Camel – *Accessories Boutique
- The Daisy Waist Dress in Denim – *NYC Boutique
- The Ladder Back Knit Dress in Ash – Blaque Label
- The Madeline Skirt – Lucca Couture
For the nature loving, hippie chick…
- The Egyptian Collar Necklace – *Accessories Boutique
- The Gold Saturn x Karmaloop Exclusive Tie Dye Turband – Gold Saturn
- The Aztec Scarf – *Accessories Boutique
- The Gem Ring – Soho Collection
- The Easy Breezy Maxi Skirt – Quiksilver/QSW
- The Floral Crochet Top – Lucca Couture
– Kelsey Leahy