In a Ladies’ Blog first, we’ve tapped LA-based stylist Natalie Toren for a guest-styled Look of the Week. Her fashion perspective is sharp and practical, incorporating contrasting textures and menswear inspired accessories for an easy summer getup that’s enviously cool and comfortable.
NT: Since I moved from NYC to LA, I’ve been thinking a lot about unstructured ease and how to incorporate menswear elements for summer in a way that’s still easy, breezy, and smart. This outfit is the kind of thing I would throw on, hop in my car, and drive to Palm Springs on a sunny weekend for a barbecue or a vintage-hunting trip. It started around the shorts, which reminded me of early 80′s men’s athletic shorts, but the ikat print is so fresh. And they’re short and sexy, so I countered them with a feminine, loose pale top that lets you stay covered but still cool in the heat. The men’s duffel bag in navy is a perfect size to hold a weekend’s worth of clothes, a camera, and a book. I riffed off the 80′s menswear reference and threw in some tortoise accessories: a great watch that almost feels like a bracelet and horn-rimmed sunglasses that are very modern but still 80′s feeling. And of course, if we’re talking about menswear ease, a great, preppy white loafer is the way to go — these perforated ones will let you stay cool.
- The Camelia Bralette in Castle Rock – Honeydew Intimates: I actually live in these in the summer, so comfortable and breathable.
- The Camelia Boyshort in Castle Rock – Honeydew Intimates
- The Gypsy Rose Blouse in Peach – Mink Pink: Really easy, lovely color, a bit canyon-living-ish, I like that it’s slightly cropped too.
- The Dolphine Shorts – Grey Antics: These high waisted shorts are fantastic and so flattering. Definitely the focal point of the look. Legs for days.
- The Lilo Shoe in White – Matiko: These are a great update on classic Stubbs & Wooten country club loafers. I love when ladies have menswear flats to counter a really short hemline.
- The Persiniquity Antiquity Sunglasses – Replay Vintage Sunglasses
- The Time Teller Acetate in Tortoise – Nixon
- The Friendship Box Chain Bracelet – Serefina
- The Friendship Bracelet in Green – Serefina
- The Exclusive Egyptian Ring – Marley B Parker Jewelry
- The Novel Duffel Bag in Navy – Herschel
Model: Lauren Fitzgerald
Photography: Mari Nishimura
Animation: Carlos Alonzo
Stylist: Natalie Toren
To see more of Natalie’s work, visit NatalieToren.com.